Denied Entry to Canada? What are the Next Steps?

Criminal offenses, regardless if they are minor or have occurred many years prior, can significantly restrict your entry into Canada. These infractions in many cases can leave a permanent stain on your record, which can make it next to impossible to freely travel.

If you have been denied entry to Canada due to a criminal record or offense, there may be still a chance for you to enter the country. Retaining the services of a skilled immigration lawyer can increase the likelihood of admission to Canada.

Temporary Resident Permit (TRP): How It Can help

For those refused entry to Canada due to a criminal record or for certain medical conditions, the common practice is to request an application from Citizenship and Immigration Canada for a Temporary Resident Permit or TRP.  This could allow you entry to Canada as a visitor, worker or student.

US Citizens and those from visa exempt countries may apply for TRP at the Canada/US Border or a port of entry. However, there are some risks to consider when applying for a TRP at the border or an airport. You could be refused and turned away at the border.  In some very rare cases, you could be detained by Canadian Immigration authorities. Truly, your best chance for admission to Canada is to have an immigration lawyer assess your case.

At Niren and Associates, we understand the challenges faced by those looking to enter the country with criminal records. Let 0ur immigration lawyers for Boston residents can see what they can do to help.

Contact today for a consultation with one of our Immigration Lawyers for the Boston, MA area.

The Length of Time Permitted for a TRP

The duration of your TRP varies depending on the circumstances of your case. Temporary Resident Permits can be valid for a number of months or years, and they could be valid for a single entry to Canada or for multiple entries to Canada. That is why it is highly recommended that you consult an immigration lawyer to review your options.

Criminal Rehabilitation Application and How It Differs from TRP

In certain cases, if your conviction occurred 5 years ago or longer, you may be eligible to make an application for Criminal Rehabilitation to enter Canada. If approved, it will wipe out your criminal inadmissibility that prevents you from entering.

Like the Temporary Resident Permit, an application for Criminal Rehabilitation can be made at a Canada/US border if you are a U.S. Citizen or from a visa exempt country. A Criminal Rehabilitation application can also be made at a Canadian Consulate or Embassy.

Have you been refused entry to Canada?

It should be noted that failure to file the proper documents will impede the rehabilitation process. Therefore, it is recommended that you consult a qualified Canadian immigration lawyer to determine whether you qualify for Criminal Rehabilitation. Niren and Associates specializes in immigration law and is well-versed in all current immigration matters. Let us review your case.

Contact us today for a consultation with one of our Immigration Lawyers for the Boston, MA. area.

When I first found out I was “criminally inadmissible” to Canada, I was at the airport in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, confused and frustrated, because I had no idea what this meant. Niren and Associates were more than helpful in explaining to me Canadian immigration laws and what my options were at this point. – Kenny S.