Sponsoring your family to the United States

Being separated from your family is a very difficult situation. Being separated for long periods of time and being in a completely different country or even hemisphere than your family can be much worse, and extremely stressful or at times very lonely.

Luckily, if you live in the United States as a US citizen or permanent resident, you have the opportunity to sponsor your family members to the United States for their own green card. 

Don’t mistake – this is not easy. Thousands, if not more, of these family sponsored green card applications are denied every single year. But that doesn’t mean yours can’t be successful. It’s as simple as discussing your case with an immigration attorney who has experience with family sponsored green card petitions, as well as seeking help with your application so that no mistakes are made.

Do you qualify as a family sponsored green card petitioner?

The sponsor is also referred to as the petitioner, and these terms are often used interchangeably. As the petitioner, it is primarily your responsibility to ensure that any paperwork is accurate, filed properly and that you are qualified to be a petitioner in the first place.

To qualify as a petitioner for a family sponsored green card, you must:

Be a green card holder yourself, or a citizen of the United States.
Have a permanent home in the United States where you live and have all of your things.
Make enough money to support anyone you bring over to the United States at over 125 per cent of poverty line wages.
Have all of the required supporting documentation to prove the three points above as well as your relationships to those you intend to sponsor to show the United States immigration officials that you are eligible to be a petitioner for a family sponsored green card.

Who can I sponsor?

As a petitioner for a family sponsored green card, you cannot sponsor just anyone. They must be a very close family member. The circle of family members you are able to sponsor for a family sponsored green card becomes smaller if you are a green card holder and not a citizen.

For example, permanent residents (or green card holders) are eligible to sponsor their spouses or their children, unmarried of any age.

Meanwhile, citizens have many more options. They can sponsor their spouses, their married and unmarried children who are of any age, as well as their siblings depending on their ages.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.