What if I am an American Citizen and my Canadian permanent resident card has expired?

If you are a Canadian permanent resident, you should have a valid permanent resident card at all times. If you do not have your permanent resident card yet (Those who arrived in Canada before 2002 need to apply for one) you need to get one immediately. Contact our immigration law firm for help obtaining your first permanent resident card! 

Your permanent resident card (also called a PR Card) is valid for five years. Just like any other piece of identification, once your permanent resident card has expired it must be renewed. You will need to make an application to renew your permanent resident card and demonstrate to Canadian immigration officials that you have met the residency requirement.

When should I renew my permanent resident card?

If you realize your permanent resident card is about to expire, renew it as soon as you can. As of September 26th, 2012, it takes approximately 66 calendar days for a permanent resident card renewal to be processed, so you should mail your application between two and three months before your expiry date.

What is the residency requirement and what if I did not meet it?

To remain a permanent resident in Canada you need to live in Canada for at least five years out of every five years. This means you have to be able to demonstrate to Canadian immigration officials that you have been living in Canada (with proof) for 730 days out of ever five years and have not been out of the country for more than three years during the five year period your permanent resident card was good for.

If you were unable o meet this residency obligation for permanent resident status in Canada, contact a our immigration law firm. We can make humanitarian and compassionate arguments on your behalf that explain why you had a good reason to not meet the residency obligation. We can be reached at the phone number at the top of this page.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.



Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.